Singing Band at UERMMMC Hospital
It's not really a “band” because I went alone but I can’t think of any other title for this post. Anyway, every Saturday, my churchmates and I would often visit selected patients at Manila Adventist Medical Center to sing, read a Bible verse, and pray for them. We call it a “singing band” ministry (you can visit http://adventistchurch.multiply.com to see the other ministries or activities we have in church). This time I decided to do it at UERMMMC Hospital. In my previous post “The Power of Prayer”, I was inspired with what happened so I wanted to do more for the Lord. I am not really the best singer and I still have a lot to learn in playing the guitar (I am poor in strumming) but I know the little that I have can be made great by God. Before starting my new ministry, I stayed near the Pharmacology & Microbiology Departments at the JMC building to practice a bit then I prayed. I asked the Lord to be my guide. I also prayed for the patients that I’ll visit, that there hearts will be touched by God and that they will feel blessed. Then I went to the 4th floor pay ward of the hospital and began an amazing experience. The first person I visited was brother Nap. His wife was with him in the room. I was about to sing when 2 people, a guy & a girl, entered the room and saw me. The guy seems familiar to me and if I’m not mistaken, he also works at UERM. He smiled and said, “Kakantahan mo siya?”. I sheepishly replied, “Opo.” Then I started singing. After I sang, I said, “Ipagppray ko lang po si Bro. Nap.” Then the guy said, “Isa lang kakantahin mo? Pwede pang isa?”. I was taken aback for a while but good thing I was able to prepare 2 songs for that day (Actually, I can only play 3 religious songs in the guitar - 2 songs was taught to me by our helper and the other 1 is my own composition. Hehe…). I smiled and said, “O cge po.” After I sang the 2nd song entitled, “You are my Lord”, Bro. Nap clapped. I was happy seeing him smile. Then I prayed for him. As I was bidding goodbye, the wife said, “Pinaiyak mo naman ako.” I said, “Naku, pasensiya na po. God bless you po.” She replied, teary-eyed, “Salamat ha…” Before leaving the room, I thanked them for allowing me to do the visit.
There were actually patients who refused when I told them that I wanted to sing (1 reason was the patient was about to be discharged and in another room, the relative said that the patient won’t be able to hear it anyway) and pray for them but it did not dampen my spirit.
I think I was able to visit about 7 patients. The most memorable was Tatay Marcelino. He is a blind man but his hearing is superb and his personality is even more remarkable. When I mentioned that I was going to sing and pray for him, he said, “Sige, gustong-gusto ko yan.” Before I sang, I read a Bible verse from Philippians 4: 6, 7 which says, “Do not be anxious about anything. But in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” “Ang ganda,” Tatay Marcelino said. Then I proceeded with my song. There is a part in the lyrics of the song that goes like this, “Allelujah…allelujah…allelujah…” As I was singing that part, Tatay Marcelino was also singing with me. It was a very heart-warming moment. I became teary-eyed. I tried not to make it obvious to Tatay but I actually felt my voice shake a bit as I was singing. Still, I went on with full conviction. My heart was filled with so much joy because there I was with a very optimistic man despite his condition and we were both giving praise to the Lord. I hope I could somehow be like him…someone who is always able to see the light amidst a dark world.
Before I began this ministry, my intention was to touch the lives of the patients that I’ll visit, instead I got more than what I came for…they were actually able to touch mine. God is truly such an amazing God.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home