RockYou FXText - Get Your Own

Sweet Zone

Sunday, April 06, 2008

My Bicol Express

I’ve always wanted to go to Bicol. Back in college, I remember wanting to ride a bus to Bicol just so I could take a picture of Mayon Volcano, then I’ll just go back to Manila. Crazy idea? My mom thought so, too. ;) Oh well, most of my friends know that my head is often filled with crazy ideas. But that once crazy idea has finally come into reality. Last March 25, we were having our semester planning at Starbucks, Morato when Marvin mentioned that they were going to Bicol for the APMC-SN-NCR Yearly Planning. I was flabbergasted when I heard it and asked him how come I didn’t know about it. I wanted to go to Bicol! And then, he said that Joke invited them during the last meeting that they had and I wasn’t there because it was a Saturday. When I saw their itinerary, it made me want to go with them even more! As I was scanning through the schedule, I saw a familiar name as one of the contact persons but I wasn’t sure if it was the same person I know so I looked at my sun cellphone to check. Fortunately, it was Gian, one of my classmates in college so I texted him immediately and asked if I could still join and be included in the transportation and accommodation. To make the long story short, I was able to join them! Our meeting place was at McDonald’s inside UST, Wednesday, 8 pm. The trip was long and zany! There was a point when the bus was so cold and we had a hard time falling asleep. I remember Lee Roi’s hilarious comment to the driver, “Tao po kami, hindi karne. ‘wag niyo po kaming i-freezer!” When we arrived at Moraville Hotel that Thursday morning, we just freshened up a bit then we all proceeded to Naga Regent Hotel to start the planning session. After the bloody day of planning for the APMC activities, we took a short siesta & preparation for the evening. We had our dinner at Star Mark…

The next day, we went to the beach. The name of the place is Atulayan Island, where we enjoyed strolling on its white sand and swimming in its blue & cold waters. The hearty lunch we had was prepared by Mr. Ken Puzon and Mr. Joke Zantua. Then we had a series of games on the beach. We were divided into 2 groups: White Team and Blue Team. The day ended with new friendships gained and lessons in enhancing our bond as an association. We were supposed to stop by Camarines Sur Watersports Complex (CSWC) but since there was a competition and some of the people were heading back to Manila that day, we just proceeded directly to the hotel. It was a good thing that we didn’t go to CSWC because I was able to prepare just in time for church. While the whole group was preparing themselves for Prei & Joke’s pre-birthday bash at Joke’s house in Naga City, I was already on my way to church. I really wanted to go to church for vesper because I wouldn’t be able to go to church that Saturday since we were scheduled for Manila that day. I already asked Joke for directions but I was still a bit nervous traveling in an unfamiliar place esp. at night. I was able to exercise/stretch my sternocleidomastoid muscle because I kept on looking where the jeepney was going and at the same time trying to search for an Adventist Church. The jeepney driver was kind enough to drop me off across Magsaysay Adventist Church. When I arrived there, I was worried because the church was closed and I thought there was no vesper service that evening. I felt sad. I just stood in front of the church for a while and tried to think of what to do next… whether to stay a bit longer or just go back to the hotel. As I was pondering on what seemed to be an unfortunate event, a lady was approaching and was heading inside the gates of the church. I asked her, “Wala po bang simba ngayon?”. She smiled and said, “Meron. Hindi ko pa lang nabubuksan yung simbahan. Pasensiya na.” I felt so relieved…Praise God. The lady, Ate Daisy, opened the church and went off to change into her Sabbath clothes. It felt nice being an early bird in church and I was just happy to be there to spend time with my God. I was the only person inside the church so I decided to play the piano. I am quite vocal of my stage fright when it comes to playing the piano (e.g. recitals or in church) that’s why I just play it when I’m alone or with just a few people. As I was playing the hymn “Take My Life and Let It Be”, a family entered the church and I immediately stopped playing the piano. The head of that family, Bro. Bemba, said, “Ituloy mo lang ang pagtugtog, sister.” I felt myself blush and I replied, “Ah. Sige po…” So I continued playing the piano. I tried to overcome my fear of hitting the wrong keys and just focused on the thought that I was playing the piano for God, not for anyone else. There was this overwhelming calmness filling my soul as I was playing the hymn. It felt nice. After playing the piano, I approached the family, greeted them a "Happy Sabbath", and introduced myself. I mentioned that I came from Manila and that I was just there for the APMC planning that we had. Before the vesper service began, one of the members of the church approached me and asked if I could give the special number. I wanted to say no because I wasn’t prepared but I couldn’t say no to my God. So I said yes. I sang the song, “Pass It On”. I know, I know… It’s such a common praise song but it was the only song I could think of at that time! =) Saved by the song we often sing during my singing band days back in high school. Haha… Although it seems to be a very simple song, I think the lyrics are filled with so much meaning. To those who don’t know the song, it goes like this:

PASS IT ON

It only takes a spark to get a fire going
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing
That’s how it is with God’s love
Once you’ve experienced it
You spread His love to everyone
You want to pass it on

What a wondrous time is spring
When all the trees are budding
The birds begin to sing
The flowers start their blooming
That’s how it is with God’s love
Once you’ve experienced it
You want to sing its fresh-like spring
You want to pass it on

I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I’ve found
You can depend on Him
It matters not where you’re bound
I’ll shout it from the mountaintop
I want my world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on


I want to thank the members of Magsaysay Church in Naga City, who were present that vesper night, for being so hospitable. I enjoyed having fellowship with all of you. May God continue to bless each and everyone of you…

When I got back to the hotel, I packed up my things and immediately rested because we had to wake up early and depart from the hotel at 4 am in the morning to go to Sorsogon. I wasn’t able to go to church that Saturday but I was able to spend time with God through nature. We passed by Legazpi City on our way to Sorsogon so I was able to see the perfect cone of Mayon Volcano…finally! It was a breath-taking view. From the bus window, I could see the beautiful, sunny Sabbath morning so I prayed to God to thank Him for giving me life so I could appreciate the wonders of His creation. When we reached Donsol, we initially had a briefing on what we have to do during the whale shark exposure. I also saw Mimi Tiu. She’s one of the Candy Magazine editors I worked with at Summit Media before during my Candy of Council of Cool days. What a small world indeed! =) It was nice seeing her again...She even introduced me to the group she was with. Thanks, Mimi! :)

Before I share my whale shark (butanding) encounter, I just want to thank Pau (of St. Luke’s) for being such a gentleman…He traded places with me…I was supposed to be in another group but he was kind enough to transfer without me asking. Pau, you rock! ;)

Butanding Interaction 101

Materials/things needed:
a. Snorkel
b. Life vest
c. A good pair of eyesight (of course, so you can appreciate the butanding!) and an intact respiratory system (to allow you to hold your breath longer…just in case sea water gets inside your not-so-reliable snorkel…believe me, it happens…hehe!)

Procedure (This is just like a Micro-Para lab session…nyahaha!):
1. Wait for the signal of the Butanding seeker (The person searching if there’s a butanding in sight…hehe!)
2. The Butanding Interaction Officer (B.I.O.) will instruct you to sit beside him at the side of the boat.
3. Prepare your snorkel and wait for the signal of the B.I.O.
4. Then you’ll both jump to the water (yey…butanding here we come!)
5. You are supposed to swim towards the butanding but the B.I.O. can also pull you esp. if you don’t know how to swim…Hehe!
6. The B.I.O. will then instruct you to look down (or he’ll just push your head down…Mang Jerry did that to me! Haha…) so you could see the gigantic whale shark.
7. Afterwards, you can either swim (it is better if you are wearing fins so you could swim faster) with the butanding or let yourself be pulled by the B.I.O. (he’s wearing fins so he can swim like a butanding...joke. hehe!) as you follow where the butanding is heading.
8. Remember: Touching the butanding is not allowed. A 3-4 meter distance must be maintained.
9. Then you stop swimming if the butanding gets out of sight (it goes deeper into the sea because it is irritated by so much fans & paparazzi…the butanding also wants some privacy…hehe!)
10. Just wait for your boat to come near and get you & your B.I.O.

I was the first in our group to see a whale shark! When Mang Jerry Restoles, our B.I.O., instructed me to look down, I was caught off guard. I didn’t expect to see the mouth of a whale shark fast approaching. It seemed to have smiled at me (actually, its mouth is so big…like it’s always wearing a grin). We swam over it then beside it…It was amazing!!! I wasn’t making anymore effort to swim but I felt that I was swimming fast…because I was being pulled by Mang Jerry! Haha! There was one point when I was trying to signal Mang Jerry to pull me away (I was swimming on the side near the butanding; Mang Jerry was on the farther side) because I felt that I was already swimming so near the butanding…I got scared of its huge, sharp tail. Hehe… Then, it went deeper into the sea. Goodbye, butanding! :)

If I remember it correctly, each person in our group was able to see a butanding twice… but I was able to have 5 encounters because I know how to swim so I went with them even if I wasn’t being pulled by Mang Jerry. I had so much fun! Whale shark watching is one of the most amazing experiences I have had in my life so far. Swimming with those huge, magnificent creatures reminded me of how small I am in this world and how great God is. I could just imagine the other creatures of God in the vast oceans. Truly, God is a brilliant and an all-powerful God.

After lunch, we proceeded back to Legazpi City. We went to the Cagsawa ruins and took our group & individual pictures with the famous Mayon Volcano. =) We spent the whole afternoon around the area then we headed to Pili to stop by CSWC. It was already sunset when we arrived there. The place is so cool. We inquired if we could still do wakeboarding but they said the whole night is booked already and reservations are only open for the next day. So we just took our pictures there and watched those who were wakeboarding. We also had our dinner there then it was time to bid Bicol goodbye.

On our way to Manila, I had a hard time falling asleep on the bus because it was still so cold… I just gazed at the moon & stars in the beautiful night sky as I reminisced the moments I had (and missed)… I surely would want to go back to Bicol someday…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home